Top Five Things to Do Now to Get Your Home Ready for Fall
Fall is here, and even if the weather doesn’t feel like fall yet, now is a good time to run through the below checklist to get your home ready for the cooler weather.
1. Replace Your Air Filters. A clogged or dirty filter can make your system work harder, which uses more energy. It can also damage your system. Replace your filters once a month or as recommended by your system’s manufacturer. Comfort Club members can still receive a FREE air filter from any local Taylor’s Do It Center location with coupon!
2. Seal Leaks. Take a quick walk around your home to check for cracks and gaps around windows and doors. This could let the heat out and cold air in. Now is a good time to find these leaks and seal them up. In cooler climates consider a humidifier to make your home more pleasant in the fall and winter.
3. Replace the Batteries in Your Programmable Thermostat. Now is also a good time to consider upgrading to a Wi-Fi thermostat, so you can control and monitor the temperature in your home, especially while you are away. Now is also a good time to replace the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors too.
4. Tidy Up. During the warmer months, flammable materials like paint or cleaning supplies may have been placed near your heating systems. This could be a safety hazard. Clear the area around your furnace or heating system and make sure furniture and rugs are not blocking your vents and registers.
5. Get a Tune-up. We recommend having a professional clean and inspect your heating and cooling system every year. A professional can help maintain your system which can extend the product life and help reduce the frequency and severity of breakdowns. And if you’re a member of our Comfort Club, your tune-up is FREE!
For more information on preparing your home for the fall season, send us a message or call (757) 868-7600 to schedule your annual tune-up today!