Beat the Chill this Fall
Fall officially arrives today on the calendar. You may not be thinking of wind chills, plunging temperatures and polar vortexes just yet, but technicians with One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning® say now is the best time to prepare for what fall and winter could bring. This kicks off the busy season for technicians to repair and replace old and aging systems. To make sure your furnace and heating system gets you through the coldest months to come, consider these tips:
1. Get a Tune-up.Technicians recommend having a professional clean and inspect your HVAC system twice a year. The start of fall, is a great time to get this maintenance done, before the cold weather arrives and before the seasonal rush. A professional can help make sure your system is operating at peak performance and detect small problems before they become larger, more expensive ones.
2. Change Your Air Filters. A clogged or dirty air filter makes your system work harder. We recommend changing your filter monthly or as recommended by your system’s manufacturer.
3. Battery Change: Change the batteries in your thermostat. It’s a quick and easy step that may save you some discomfort later on if the batteries die. Now is a good time to consider the newest One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning smart home technology Wi-Fi enabled thermostat. It may also help lower your winter utility bills.
4. Seal Leaks: Take a quick walk around your home and do a check inside too. Look for drafts and leaks that could let the heat out and cold air in. Now is a good time to find those leaks and seal them up. Caulk or weather stripping is often on sale now.
5. Clean Up. Now is a good time to make sure paint cans and flammable materials you may have used this summer are not stored near your heating systems. This could be a major safety hazard.
For more information on getting your home and heating systems ready for the fall and winter, call us at (757) 868-7600 or send us a message through our online form.